Learn to code online for free
Already have an account? Login here
Already have an account? Login here
App Academy Open is the best free resource to learn to code online. If you're unsure about attending a coding bootcamp like App Academy, try out Open and see if it's for you!
The curriculum on Open is the same as our 24 Week Online Software Engineering Program (Full Time), but since Open is self directed and self-paced, there are inherent differences. Our 24 Week Online Software Engineering Program provides you with a structured schedule, access to virtual lectures and instruction, pair programming, assessments, job search support, and access to our alumni network. Access to these components typically is the difference between completing the course in 24 weeks (full time) versus 12 months (at 10 hours/week). Click here to apply to our 24 Week Online Software Engineering Program (Full Time).
No problem! App Academy also offers a Part Time Online Software Engineering Program that provides instructor lead classes and support, but offers more schedule flexibility. Learn more about our part-time, online program.
Get access to App Academy's entire 24 Week Online Software Engineering Program curriculum
By signing up for our Mentor Plan, you'll get access to App Academy instructors Mon-Fri (6am-6pm PT) via Slack to answer technical questions and provide guidance as you go through the curriculum. We estimate members on this plan will complete the course 4-6 months earlier than those on the Free plan. It's only $29.99/mo, which is a lot less than a tutor.
Start your learning journey by acquiring the three vital skills that will help you through the rest of the course.
- HTML/CSS, Git
Master the underlying principles of your new craft through writing code, researching syntax, and solving complex problems as you would in a real-world job setting.
Extend your programming skill set with efficient ways to store and search for data. Learn how to develop algorithms to complete difficult tasks.
- Sorting algorithms, data structures, OOP, Testing
Understand and build with the underlying technologies that make the internet work, then develop front-end and back-end projects and deploy them to the internet to share with friends and family.
- HTTP, Servers, HTML, CSS, Responsive Design, Flexbox, Netlify, Heroku
Build on your understanding of back-end development to create robust and modern back-end servers to persist and manipulate data for your web applications.
- Express, SQL, Object-relational Mappers
Learn how to use the power and flexibility of a modern front-end framework to create single-page applications for the web.
- React, Hooks, Redux, Web Sockets
Discover how to take on any job by applying everything you’ve learned to the task of rapidly adopting a new language and new tools.
- Python, Flask, SQLAlchemy, Docker
Create your own portfolio project using the skills mastered throughout the course. This project will be the keystone of your portfolio and emphasize React, Redux, and the back-end of your choice. A chance to demonstrate your skills and creativity. Refine all that you’ve learned about finding a programming job with dedicated time for polishing your resume, pitch, online presence, and code portfolio.
- Resume Workshops, Networking, Applying Strategies, Personal Pitch
After this comprehensive introduction to foundational Ruby concepts, your toolbox will be well-stocked and you will be well-prepared to solve a variety of commonly-seen problems.
- Ruby Environment Setup, RSpec Testing, Blocks and Procs, Arrays and Hashes, Function Arguments, Strings
Learn to write programs where data and the methods that operate on it are compartmentalized into discrete objects. This introduction to Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) will be the foundation for future lessons.
- Object Initialization, Class and Instance Methods, Class and Instance Variables, Getter and Setter Methods, Nested Arrays, RSpec and Classes
Abstract data types and concepts like recursion will help you to solve even more advanced problems. On top of that, you’ll learn the intricacies of version control with Git.
- Memory/References, Scope, Recursion, Git, Data Structures I (Stack, Queue, Trees)
Learn more about the principles of Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) while building complex applications like Chess. This is also an opportunity to start writing your own RSpec tests and practice Test-Driven Development (TDD).
- OOP Principles, Modules, Test-Driven Development, RSpec, Big-O Notation
All that data has to go somewhere! The focus is on creating, seeding, and interacting with databases. After getting your hands dirty with raw SQL you’ll graduate to using ActiveRecord, which provides a more intuitive interface for sending data to and from our applications.
- Data Structures II (Linked Lists, LRU Cache), Databases, SQL, ORM, ActiveRecord, Validations, Associations, Indexing Databases
Time to put all the pieces together! This module you’ll build fully functional Rails applications using the traditional Model-View-Controller (MVC) architecture. This is also a great opportunity to learn more about the Internet’s underlying structure and standard protocols.
- Rails, MVC Architecture, Servers, Request-Response Cycle, RESTful Architecture, Web APIs vs Websites, ERB, HTML Forms
Don’t forget to make those applications secure! Learn about modern authentication patterns and how to implement them in a Rails application. Last but not least, you’ll build tests for these applications and add some special touches with CSS styling.
- User Authentication, Encryption, Hashing, Salting, Cookies, Rails testing, Integration testing, CSS (Flexbox, Dropdowns)
React and Redux are the final pieces of the puzzle to building a dynamic, responsive, single-page application. There are a lot of moving parts here, but the material this module will introduce it one piece at a time.
- React, Redux, Flux Architecture, Local State, Global State, Components, Middleware, React with Rails
Time to flex your web developer muscles! These projects will challenge you to build fully-featured, modern web applications. Learn about best practices, interface with a few external APIs, and smooth out any rough edges in your understanding of your development stack.
- JBuilder, Rails as a Web API, Frontend Routing with React Router, Frontend Authentication
This is where we really take the training wheels off! You'll build a fully-functional clone of a popular application from scratch.
- Rails, React, Redux, AWS, Heroku
Put the finishing touches on your Full Stack Project. This will be the cornerstone of your portfolio when it comes time for the job search!
- Rails, React, Redux, AWS, Heroku
Time to switch things up a bit! You’ll be introduced to an entirely new development stack - MERN! Using this stack means learning about an entirely new database paradigm (MongoDB) and back-end framework (Express).
- NoSQL Databases, MongoDB, Express, Gitflow, Personal Pitch, Interviewing, Cover Letters
- Canvas, D3, Vanilla DOM Manipulation, Resumes
This final module is all about reviewing a wide variety of data structures and algorithms. Understanding these at a deeper level is key to succeeding in future job interviews.
- Optimizing Algorithms, Sorting Algorithms, Linked Lists, Stacks and Queues, Binary Trees, Search Algorithms, Graphs, Heaps, Tries, Networking, Applying Approaches, Negotiations
learn about app academy from real people
Join Open and get free access to our full-stack online curriculum