Resource | Student Experience Package
App Academy Open is the best free resource to learn to code online. If you're unsure about attending a coding bootcamp like App Academy, try out Open and see if it's for you!
The curriculum on Open is the same as our in-person paid program, but since Open is self directed and self paced, there are inherent differences. Our full-time paid programs provide you with a structured schedule & learning environment, access to live lectures and live instruction, pair programming, assessments, job search support, and access to our alumni network. Access to these components typically is the difference between completing the course in 16 weeks versus 16 months. Click here to apply to our paid full-time program.
No problem! If you sign up for our Mentor Plan, you'll get access to App Academy instructors every weekday via Slack. They can help answer any questions you have as you go through the curriculum. Click here to learn more.
Get access to App Academy's entire in-person full-stack curriculum
By signing up for our Mentor Plan, you'll get access to App Academy instructors Mon-Fri (6am-6pm PT) via Slack to answer technical questions and provide guidance as you go through the curriculum. We estimate members on this plan will complete the course 4-6 months earlier than those on the Free plan. It's only $29.99/mo, which is a lot less than a tutor.
After this comprehensive introduction to foundational Ruby concepts, your toolbox will be well-stocked and you will be well-prepared to solve a variety of commonly-seen problems.
- Ruby Environment Setup, RSpec Testing, Blocks and Procs, Arrays and Hashes, Function Arguments, Strings
Learn to write programs where data and the methods that operate on it are compartmentalized into discrete objects. This introduction to Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) will be the foundation for future lessons.
- Object Initialization, Class and Instance Methods, Class and Instance Variables, Getter and Setter Methods, Nested Arrays, RSpec and Classes
Abstract data types and concepts like recursion will help you to solve even more advanced problems. On top of that, you’ll learn the intricacies of version control with Git.
- Memory/References, Scope, Recursion, Git, Data Structures I (Stack, Queue, Trees)
Learn more about the principles of Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) while building complex applications like Chess. This is also an opportunity to start writing your own RSpec tests and practice Test-Driven Development (TDD).
- OOP Principles, Modules, Test-Driven Development, RSpec, Big-O Notation
All that data has to go somewhere! The focus is on creating, seeding, and interacting with databases. After getting your hands dirty with raw SQL you’ll graduate to using ActiveRecord, which provides a more intuitive interface for sending data to and from our applications.
- Data Structures II (Linked Lists, LRU Cache), Databases, SQL, ORM, ActiveRecord, Validations, Associations, Indexing Databases
Time to put all the pieces together! This module you’ll build fully functional Rails applications using the traditional Model-View-Controller (MVC) architecture. This is also a great opportunity to learn more about the Internet’s underlying structure and standard protocols.
- Rails, MVC Architecture, Servers, Request-Response Cycle, RESTful Architecture, Web APIs vs Websites, ERB, HTML Forms
Don’t forget to make those applications secure! Learn about modern authentication patterns and how to implement them in a Rails application. Last but not least, you’ll build tests for these applications and add some special touches with CSS styling.
- User Authentication, Encryption, Hashing, Salting, Cookies, Rails testing, Integration testing, CSS (Flexbox, Dropdowns)
React and Redux are the final pieces of the puzzle to building a dynamic, responsive, single-page application. There are a lot of moving parts here, but the material this module will introduce it one piece at a time.
- React, Redux, Flux Architecture, Local State, Global State, Components, Middleware, React with Rails
Time to flex your web developer muscles! These projects will challenge you to build fully-featured, modern web applications. Learn about best practices, interface with a few external APIs, and smooth out any rough edges in your understanding of your development stack.
- JBuilder, Rails as a Web API, Frontend Routing with React Router, Frontend Authentication
This is where we really take the training wheels off! You'll build a fully-functional clone of a popular application from scratch.
- Rails, React, Redux, AWS, Heroku
Put the finishing touches on your Full Stack Project. This will be the cornerstone of your portfolio when it comes time for the job search!
- Rails, React, Redux, AWS, Heroku
Time to switch things up a bit! You’ll be introduced to an entirely new development stack - MERN! Using this stack means learning about an entirely new database paradigm (MongoDB) and back-end framework (Express).
- NoSQL Databases, MongoDB, Express, Gitflow, Personal Pitch, Interviewing, Cover Letters
- Canvas, D3, Vanilla DOM Manipulation, Resumes
This final module is all about reviewing a wide variety of data structures and algorithms. Understanding these at a deeper level is key to succeeding in future job interviews.
- Optimizing Algorithms, Sorting Algorithms, Linked Lists, Stacks and Queues, Binary Trees, Search Algorithms, Graphs, Heaps, Tries, Networking, Applying Approaches, Negotiations
learn about app academy from real people
Join Open and get free access to our award winning curriculum